Monday 2 July 2018

Recycling - for Mixed Up Magazine

Good morning everyone.
Hopefully I have scheduled this correctly as I am  potentially currently out of computerland.....

So, over at Mixed Up Magazine, the new theme for the blog is recycling. Giving something a new lease of life is something that I enjoy doing. My wife and I spend more time scouring Junk/antique/charity shops and boot fairs, looking for things that can be re-purposed or given a lick of paint etc to refresh them, than we do going to high street stores.

This month I have kept things pretty simple and  given a bit of a refresh to something that was pennies in a charity shop.


 I'm a sucker for things like this, I love opening things and discovering that it's not just an empty box.

 First, a coat of paint inside,
 Outside got a coat of Gesso, then a coat of paint too.
 A spritz of water to make everything run and a blast with the Heat Gun to dry gave me a faded distressed look.
 To finish off the outside I added some random heat embossing using Stampendous Faded Taupe Embossing Enamel and some Treasure Copper wax to highlight the edges. Now it looks very different to the original.
 Inside has some copper too and some sentiments from Tim Holtz and job done. A nice simple transformation.
I've added four reels of self adhesive lace and fabric tape to the drawers. I can just reel off what I need without opening the drawers which is great.
Don't forget to pop on over to the blog to see everyone's amazing makes too. 

No comments: