Thursday 23 February 2012

Embossed Acetate

Hi there peeps.
I thought I'd go through the distressed acetate steps for those of you who've asked about it. I have to tell you; it's messy and you'll probably go through a lot of kitchen roll!
So to begin you'll need a fairly thick acetate (for this I've used 0.18); your embossing folder of choice; I tend to prefer the sizzix ones as they give a deeper press but I have used a cuttlebug one too; you just need to be a bit more careful when removing the paint. Acrylic paint, paintbrush, baby wipes, kitchen towel and an acrylic block. And of course something to emboss with such as a vagabond, cuttlebug etc.
 Once you've embossed the acetate ; working on the "de-bossed" side, cover the surface with paint. (this is Americana - sand) making sure that you get paint into all the recesses.
 Once you've done that you need to take a kitchen roll and wipe the surface a couple of times to remove some of the excess. Keeping  it on the roll helps make sure you don't wipe paint from the recessed areas. You'll probably go through a few pieces of towel!

 You can also wrap a baby wipe around a block and wipe more off too. Then set aside for a while to dry a bit.
 Once it's dried a bit, if you wrap a bit of towel around the block and gently begin to buff in a circular motion you'll begin to get the rest of the surface clear and bring the shine back.
 In the end you should get something like this; practice and experimentation is the key. But even the ones you are not too happy with will still make good backgrounds for tags and cards. Different colours will give you different effects.
 Some of the colours look good on white backgrounds too!
So there you have the process I use to get the backgrounds.

I hope you give it a go, it gives a lovely texture to your cards and projects!
Have fun.

20 comments:

Artyjen said...

Fabulous effect! Thanks for sharing ;)
xoxo Sioux

Joanne said...

It's a brill technique. I love using acetate packaging which is generally quite thick so will suit this perfectly.
Hugs Joanne xx

ElizabethR said...

I like this one Neil and my new stitching embossing folder has arrived, so no excuses lol. Elizabethx

Debbie Rock said...

Thank you SO much for this Neil ... I think I am now brave enough to have a a go! Debbie xXx

Unknown said...

Fab ideas Neil thanks for sharing xx

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...the effect this technique gives you is amazing, messy but so worth it...your Bird Song Tag is so pretty Neil...Mel :)

jill said...

Love the effect Neil , i will give this a go , thanks for sharing

May said...

Thank you Neil for sharing, I will have a go at this as the effect is fabulous, Hugs May x x x

Elizabeth said...

Brilliant effect and fabulous projects - the bird tag is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the technique. Elizabeth

BJ said...

Thanks Neil,
I'd guessed at how to do it before and had just used dabbers on the TOP of the embossed bits rather than INSIDE them.
Will give this a go.
BJ

jolande said...

Thanks Niel, I am going to try it this weekend!!!

Art By Wanda said...

This is way cool!!!!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Oh thanks for the step by step, wonderful results. I likey...

Mynn xx said...

OH my word!!! This is awesome! Thanks for sharing--pinning this to try again later! :) Gorgeous!!!

Debbie Rock said...

Right ... today is THE day!!!! Am about to take a deep breath and just dive in!
I have a little added confidence to Have-a-Go as I have just dug out my paints (buried away and not used for years!!!) and found they are the very same "Americana" brand as yours! I just can't fail now, can I? D x

stampencamper said...

I really love the stuff you have done with this tutorial, thanks for sharing,

Jenny Marples said...

OK, will be playing with this technique now. Love this idea. Hugs, Buttons x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Buttons played with it to great effect Neil have just come over from her blog - love this technique but dont have any of products except paper towel!! so will admire from afar :D thanks for great share, I just love those results and way you used them! Oh, and check out Buttons too see here:
http://pushingtherightbuttons.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/diffusing-situation.html
Shaz in Oz.x

Carmen Almeida said...

HI, Loved your blog and arts and your tutorial!
Thank you so much for sharing with all of us! I am new on that metal embossing, I'm learning and I could'nt post anything but I will continue to learn.
Have a grate weekend!!
My blog is https://carmen45bos.blogspot.com.br

J said...

Hi Neil, I love this technique, thanks for sharing, I will definitely have a go.
I just spotted this on Pinterest, I wondered where you had got to as I haven’t seen your blog around for ages.
Jan S