Sunday 31 October 2010

Winged Warrior!!!!!!

This was really fun to do. Though it took a bit longer to do than I thought it would. But then I was making it up as I went along.
Take one standard, slightly boring bird ornament

make templates from paper before transferring to grungepaper.
Stamp with your choice of stamps. I used Crafty Individuals; they are one of my favourite companies in the uk.


Then let your imagination run wild and this is the end result!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The chained decoration is actually a belt, just perfect for the slightly martial theme I developed.


The bottom wing was run through the cuttlebug, but it does not give a really deep impression on grunge, for that you need Tim's embossing folders as they give a much deeper impression.
The top wing was painted ith cracle, rock candy clear, it really intensifies the colours...


Showing the back in a bit more detail

I love the "Mohican" style  cresting


The main body; I stamped onto white tissue paper before adhering to the body, then I inked over.
The head was painted with Ferro gold metal paint.



The back was embossed using Tim's folder (I learn't my lesson on the wings!)

I love the textures you can achieve with all the various products available.

Finished

The base was made by glueing vintage tapes to the base; digging out a couple of grunge flowers I had made a while ago, some old leaves from a necklace, nice and simple.


I hope you have enjoyed looking at this and hope it inspires you to take a look at things in a different light. I think i'll be digging out my artist mannequin soon. Every warrior bird needs a rider; don't they?
Be blessed everyone who pops over here, you keep me motivated so spread the word!

19 comments:

Terry said...

This altered bird is beyond amazing! Absolutely incredible detail! Love this!!!

Sarah said...

Dear Neil,

Just stumbled across your magnificent bird. He is majestic, awesome and a work of love. Absolutely fabulous - you should share him with the world and not be quite so modest! Brilliant.

Unknown said...

WOW he is truly AMMMMMMMMMMMMAZING.
hugs
Ildiko

Meriam said...

heyy this is great cool blog

Anonymous said...

very cool project neil. thanks for sharing your creative talents with the world... -tim

Winnefred said...

Very impressive!

Sam Royal said...

WOWSER this is utterly amazing, you have definitely inspired me, thank you so much x

Anonymous said...

Truly amazing work Neil!!

TuKara said...

Super!!!Formidable!!

Kateřina said...

great idea! Famously made!

Anneliese said...

I love this ! ... just discovered your blog, what a lovely source of inspiration ... thank you for sharing :o) x

Minxy said...

WOW another awesome project, no wonder it's one of your favs :D

Hels Sheridan said...

ooooh, I say, how did I ever miss this one!!! THIS IS A~MAY~ZING!!! *said in the style of Craig Revel Horwood LOL*
Wow, this has got to be the best altered bird I have ever seen... TFS!!!!

Shelly Hickox said...

Really incredible piece!

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

Spotted this from the link on the right of your blog. Brilliant, everything about this really works. You can tell you enjoyed making this.

Godelieve said...

Amazing piece!

Elly said...

Oh Lordy...it's a stunning bird. Awesome, grungy colour. What an inspiration...(:o) Elly

Jacqueline said...

THAT is AWESOME!!

I just LOVE the 'fantasy' feel to that!

Thanks for sharing!

Jackie x

Scrappekatten said...

Amazing and crazy..LOL