Friday 20 March 2015

Re purposing

Hi there friends.
Thought today I'd be different and not share a book but rather a storage unit for my masks. Around a year ago I picked up a set of trays that stacked into each other from a boot fair just because I thought I could do something with those. So now I thought I'd better do something finally and I have used the 4 smaller trays to create a drawer unit.
 I started off by adding holes and attaching handles. Because the screws were too long and I knew I didn't have shorter ones I decided to fill the difference with foam board and card as you can see here. Kinda looks scrappy at this stage but it does improve.
 I constructed a box out of foam board and loads of framing tape to hold it together.
 Then it was time to gesso the fronts. This was applied fairly thickly and dabbed rather than brushed on to give a more textured finish and left to dry overnight.
 This morning was the fun bit, adding colour. I have used DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics (Yellow Green Light, Diarylide Yellow and Quinacridone Red) Working and blending the paint as I worked.
 The box got the same treatment.
 The handles had a little Treasure Gold to change the finish slightly.
 And a little more was added onto the drawers to highlight some of the textures.
 A little bit of stamping with my Fantasy 2 Background stamp and job done.


Up in place in the studio and used to keep my masks together.


It was a fun little project to do. I have so many bits and pieces picked up that are just waiting to be transformed that it felt good to have actually managed to use something!
Hope you are all going to have a fun weekend. I'm looking forward to the movies tonight and hopefully a bit of studio time on Sunday......

6 comments:

Dorothy said...

So awesome and functional!!!

Belinda Basson said...

Do the drawers just stack on top of each other or do they have struts to sit on inside their foam core frame? I like the way you solved your too long screw problem!

whyducks said...

Oh this is such a good idea and works really well. Well done Neil.

Karen said...

This looks stunning! x

Sam Lewis said...

Wonderful! Love your creativity! xxSAMxx

Donna said...

Great idea! This turned out beautiful!