Tuesday 17 March 2015

Heartbeat.

Good morning friends.
I trust you are well. Today I thought I'd take a moment to share my newest book cover kit. When the first kits arrived I very quickly realised that the way I had drawn this kit originally didn't translate well in reality so it had to be tweaked.
The new design arrived last week (and was much better!) so I've been working on it every moment I can and this is the result.....
Front.

Back

Some detail shots.


For the inside of the book I bound my latest batch of "waste" papers together and sewed the signatures directly onto the spine. I love the random nature of these pages and think they make a great springboard for journaling.


Then, just for fun, I decided to give my spine a fur coat....

Then a scrap of Gelli printed music paper was added in the area that would be exposed by the second layer cover.

When the cover is in place

The hearts were given a coat of Faux Finishing Medium

Followed by a layer of Texture Crackle. I find the Medium gives a bit more tooth for the paste to adhere to and minimises the chance of shedding. The paste was applied with a palette knife and left to dry thoroughly overnight.

I just love the texture this gives. You can also see I've added a few strips of masking tape to the cover too for a bit more interest.

The covers have been painted with DecoArt Traditions paint. (Dioxazine Purple, Transparent Red Iron Oxide and Transparent Yellow Iron Oxide) stippled on with a brush to give a more textured blending. You can see how the lighter tape shows up the colour slightly differently to the board.

The hearts were painted with the same colours.

Then they were wiped back with a moist wipe to reveal the texture. You can see the difference this makes. The Top heart has been done and the bottom one not.

Everything was left to dry. The hearts were given a coat of Faux Finishing Medium to seal and everything was glued in place and left overnight under a weight to dry.

So, there you have it, my latest book cover kit. Hope you like it.
Available soon from your Tando Creative Stockist so feel free to begin to pester them LOL
All other paint and paste products used are DecoArt which are both brilliant quality and reasonably priced.

3 comments:

Karen said...

This one is as lovely as the rest Neil! I can think of so many ways to decorate this and I really like the way you have done this one! Love its fur :-D x

Cheryl Moyer said...

Dear Neil -

You are so incredibly generous with your creative gifts - just thank you. Thank you! ♥

Cheryl

Kirsten said...

That looks great, I love the texture on the hearts.