Monday 16 February 2015

Random 1 Book cover kit

Good afternoon folks.
I trust you are well. In my last post I shared with you 7 of my 8 new book cover kits. (HERE is the round up if you missed it) Now I thought I'd spend a little time this week going through each book in more detail.
I decided to start with the 6x6 kits which have been a popular size. The addition of the three new designs brings the total range to 8 in this size.
Today I'll take a closer look at Random 1


When you open the kit you will find the 2 covers, a spine and one sheet of the decorative panel.  I chose to leave the "waste" pieces within the panel so you will need to push them out to reveal the design. Why did I do this? Because I thought they would be good to use (as you will see later in the post)
 First of all you need to put the covers together. Use a strip of fabric cut larger and glue the spine and covers to it using DecoArt Faux Medium. Remember to leave a gap as large as the thickness of the cover either side.
 Once that is dry, choose how you want the cover embellishment to be.
 Paint the covers with a couple of colours of DecoArt Fluid Acrylics (including the spine) You can add water as you go to spread the coverage with minimum loss of colour which I love. I painted directly onto the plain chipboard as I wanted a "dull" finish to my bright colours.  To keep your colours bright you paint everything white first!
 This is where the "waste" elements come in.  Use elements to add a decorative detail to the back of the book.
 Use the element to cut out a temporary mask from card as seen here.
 Use this mask to stamp onto the front cover with Archival Ink and my Alphabet Soup stamp.  Cover the whole of the back cover with the stamp. Stamp the bird onto white card in black ink and colour with the paint.
 Colour the front panel and the pieces that you use with a combination  of green and yellow paint. Glue everything in place
 Back cover.
Front cover.

 Create 9 signatures consisting of 3 pieces of 200gsm card and sew them directly onto the  spine of the book.
 Take a piece of decorative wool and a thick needle and begin to weave it through the signature threads.
to create a decorative element spine detail.

Use a mask and Distress Ink to create end papers and add to the inside of the book. This is the Random 2 mask and Spiced Marmalade and Stormy Sky.
So there you have it, a closer look at one of my new books, hope you like it.

1 comment:

suzieq23 said...

WOW Neil what a great idea. Love them all and would also love to see all your new stamps and masks. Hopefully someone in the USA will start carrying them because to ship from the UK is beyond comprehension. I tried but the shipping was like $50!!!! Got to find a better way. Anyway follow your blog and love your creativity. Sue