Tuesday 16 July 2013

Mixed media canvas

Good morning friends
Well, it's gearing up to be another warm day here in the South East of England. The mornings are lovely and cool though before the sun really gets to work so I'm sitting enjoying an early morning cuppa listening to the birds. Last night I finally got to grips with a canvas that I've been tempted to toss in the garbage so many times! I just kept adding layer after layer and FINALLY got to a place where I was happy.
 This started out as an experiment in Distress paints and was originally purple and orange with some of Tim's Wild West stamps on it. It was ok but I wasn't too happy with it so I thought, I'd try something new and added some wax crayons and melt them as I'd seen done somewhere.... big mistake though I learn't that big fat crayons from the 99p store don't really work! So everything got left as is and it mocked me every time I saw it so I covered everything with gesso to shut it up.
 Then I began to add some crackle and texture pastes randomly and painted it with various paints, sprays and whatever I could toss at it.
 I added some fabric tattered floral flowers and painted over them with paint too. Them I just began to add bits, more flowers from my stash (Made with the tattered garland die and Inks, and the tattered poinsettia die too)
 Stamping was with Kaisercraft just to add some details.
In the picture above you can see the crayons. I felt it needed something there so I glued one of the mini books I made recently to it and I think it sits nicely on the "platform" I added more metal charms and other embellishments, like the corner and lightbulb too.
The sentiment is an epoxy sticker. I like the way you can see the texture through but still read it clearly. I also think it ties in with the shine of the lightbulb too.
Now I just need to fill the book! Oh and I added a couple of small glass jars to the top of the crayons too, just for fun.

All in all, I'm pleased with it, though it took a lot of twists and turns along the way to it's final incarnation.

4 comments:

Karen said...

No wonder you are pleased with this Neil, its amazing! x

Francesca said...

Ti is certainly very busy, lots to look at and discover. well done on finishing it. Love Francesca

sara j said...

I'm loving the crayons....great texture and the mini book was a great idea. The vials..too. Really great looking!

Little Artbee said...

A great artwork. I love it.

Greatings
Sabine