Tuesday 7 May 2013

Altered box

Good afternoon friends.
I hope you are all well and looking forward to the coming week. It was a long weekend here in the UK so we had a lovely extra day to enjoy and the bonus of a short week this week.
Today I thought I'd finally get round to sharing a cigar box that I altered; about a month or so ago already, I just forgot to post it! Still, here you are!
My starting point was actually the cherub.  A plain white plaster one that had been lurking in my stash for ages and was re discovered. He is painted in layers of green paint and has had some gilding wax highlights and a few colourwashes to give some patina.  I was so pleased with it that I felt he needed a home.

 I hauled out this tag, again a leftover from a while ago. Again, it had been waiting for just the right finishing touch. I loved the flowers which are canvas, paper and wire. Angel boy fitted perfectly! I stamped the tag with my Fantasy and Hatched border stamps and glued down.... Still, good, but not good enough..... then I spied the box!


Some of the details of the flowers etc.
Right, back to the box. I'm a big fan of the way Andy Skinner works with paint and I love texture too. I saw that he was doing an online workshop called book of ruination. Now, I haven't actually done the workshop though I have done some of his others and highly recommend them. So; I was playing around in my studio with stuff as you do one day and managed to discover something by accident that gives me a similar look to his. And that's what I did on this cigar box lid. You can also see highlighted in gold, a decorative detail, that's actually the embossing of the label which I left on the box. Everything was covered in layers of paint, wax and then sealed. I stamped the wish onto card, and added it to the book plate before covering it with a crackle glaze.
So there you go, a lovely altered box.
I'm entering this into the Smudgy Antics challenge where the theme is Altered Boxes and also into the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge where the theme is Inspired by..... I'm inspired by Andy so that fits!
Hope you all have a fantastic afternoon.

19 comments:

whyducks said...

That is really beautiful Neil, well done you.

Belinda Basson said...

I do like the colours you have used. Very lush!

DonnaMundinger said...

WOW Neal, GORGEOUS! Love the patina you've achieved on the angel and those flowers are immense. I just bought some modeling paste and am dying to give it a go. Fabulous! xxD

Donna said...

This is just beautiful! The aged colors are wonderful & I love angel boy! The flowers are full of inspirations for me. Well done:)

Words and Pictures said...

Fantastically quirky and original - amazing creation!
Alison x

Elly said...

You guess right! I love the box and i'm a huge fan of your flowers. Beautiful how everything fits together.(:o)

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW!!! What an inspiration piece! This is gorgeous and I love the cherub! The wire flower is a fantastic detail. Actually, there are so many fantastic details, but the color is just to craft for! Amazing! Thank you so much for being inspired this week and sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp & Show!

GrĂ¡inne said...

That's absolutely brilliant! Love it ... The colours are adorable and I love how you put up the little angel. Suzanne

I Don't Do Straight said...

WOW! Beautiful box. Especially Love the cherub and the flowers, but the whole box is stunning! Thanks for sharing with us at Smudgy Antics :)

Candy C said...

Neil...your Andy Skinner inspired piece really is so amazing! I am a fan of his techniques, too. I love your very textured background. The highs and lows of it really stand out when mixed with the deep green tones. I really like the gold almost dry brush effect of the perimeter of the rectangle. That almost acts as a frame to further highlight that gorgeous cherub and those amazing flowers that he is nestled among. What lovely colors you have used on those amazingly gorgeous textural flowers. Your rediscovered cherub is smiling because of the wonderful "rebirth" you have given him. He's absolutely beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this wonderfully creative and original piece with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Monique said...

Your box is truly gorgeous.

KristyLee said...

Oh man Neil, this is truly awesome! Love all the texture you have going on, makes me want to touch it! Love the wire wraps coming from the flower. You have done a brilliant job here! I just love this! I like your header on your blog too! Thank you for sharing with us at Smudgy Antics, and I surely hope to see your work again! You should post your pix in the "Hord" at at our Smeared and Smudged site. I am sure the members would love to see this!
Peace,
Kristy
(SA DT)

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

Neil,
This is breath taking.I am such an angel fan and yours turned out so beautiful.There are so many wonderful details to this piece..it is amazing.Beautiful work.
susan s

lilyandthelotus.blogspot.com said...

I was so enchanted by your box I forgot to say thank you for playing with us at Smudgy Antics this challenge.
susan s

Shelley said...

yikes! what a stunning piece of work. I just love all of the detail and the hard work put into this box. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Smudgy Antics.

Matney said...

Just messing around where ya?? This is beautiful and totally appreciated on this side of the computer. wowo.

~Lady B~ said...

Such a stunning and brilliant creation! I love your work, Neil! Your textures and rich colours draw the eyes in and your amazing details keep me looking. Thanks for playing along with Smudgy Antics :)

KC said...

wow this is awesome! there is so much cool stuff going on here! and that lil angel is perfect! thanks for joining us at Smudgy Antics

Wendy said...

Wow...just came from the Smudgy Antics Challenge site and had to check out your altered box. What a great make!!! Thanks for sharing your artwork and techniques.