Sunday 4 December 2011

Busy busy weekend

Hi there; hope you are all having a good time this weekend. I've already got behind with my tags so tomorrow I'll be doing and posting day 3 4 and 5! I wanted to catch up today as yesterday was work and theatre but after church this morning my wife wanted to go to a Christmas market........ 'nuff said!
So; I thought I'd share this with you.
I made this for a wonderful blogger and fellow Katzelkraft design team member, Zuzu, for our Christmas swap. It's her very own toy-box! (I know she has received it now so I can post it here)
I started with a wooden box with a clear lid. I stamped and coloured the box with images on tissue and adhered down.
For the lid I coloured the clear perspex with alcohol inks and edged with strips of vintage lace die and carefully added the letters before covering the whole lid with a layer of 3d glaze to protect it. Now it is confession time! I only realised when the lid was almost dry that I'd put the letters on the wrong way round! Help; too late to remove them and no other box. So I used a carpet knife to cut it and managed to cut it out without shattering it all., I flipped it round, added a stamped card behind and filled it with more 3d glaze. I have to say that I like it more like this so it was a happy accident.
Some of the detail of the lid.
Then this is the inside

I like the way everything turned out; but there was still something missing; oh yes, "toys" So I filled it with
A set of mini dominos, vintage watch parts, vintage measuring tape, some metal charms, copper alcohol ink, a notebook for ideas and these unusual flowers which take inks really well!
So there you have it, one toybox for an amazing altered artist!
Enjoy the rest of your evening and I'll see you all tomorrow with tag catch up. I'd also like to take this opportunity to say thank you to all you followers out there that are inspiring me daily. I was thrilled to pass the 300 mark over the last couple of days and think that that is definitely worth celebrating so watch this space for my follower giveaway announcement; and thank you one and all for your company of my creative journey!

9 comments:

Jacqueline said...

THAT is simply stunning!! Happy accident or not it's a wonderful gift and a very special piece. Thank you for sharing.

Jackie x

Dee in N.H. said...

That is an amazing piece! WOW!

Zuzu's Blog said...

its so much better in real life Neil. I did wonder about the lettering as the piece looked like it would fit in the gap if flipped over... but i agree... its got more texture and layer to it that way. adds depth and interest.
your photos are fab, but as always, a photo never quite manages to do justice to things. its far more wonderful in person.. and what an unexpected treat the contents were.
Its a wonderful and treasured gift. I thank you. I feel very lucky to have it.
Z x

Neil said...

You are more than welcome Zuzu. I had fun making it for you and am glad you like it.

Inkypinkycraft said...

Wow , what a fab toy box, the kind of toy box I would like!!glad I am not the onlyone who is behind with my tags only made no two and not blogged that yet!!!fab box, well done on the followers your work is fab! Trace x

Helen said...

fantastic box, Neil! HOpe you catch up with your tags...

Alison said...

How fabulous! Lucky Zuzu! Look forward to seeing your tags when you catch up!
Alison

Ellie Knol said...

I'm sure Zuzu is going to like this!

Elizabeth said...

Stunning! I'm not surprised that Zuzu loves this box and if you hadn't mentioned it I doubt any of us would have noticed your happy accident. Elizabeth