Tuesday 2 November 2010

Simon says challange - something shabby

Well, I don't usually post twice in one day but I got this finished so thought I would do it now and then it is done! The challange over at Simon says stamp is something shabby so I made this little canvas which my wife gave me a while ago and I had not got round to doing anything with. The link to their blog is on my sidebar so go have a look if you haven't already.

The canvas itself is simple. I stamped a bird onto white tissue and adhered to the canvas along with an old lace doily. Everything was distressed with green and red inks.


The flowers were a little bit more difficult! I glued old lace doilies to white tissue ( I made the mistake of cutting first, everything fell apart so learn from my mistake!) When they were dry I cut as many as I could from T Holtz Tattered Florals, I then inked them carefully with inks in greens and reds. I also cut some from grunge paper which I had covered with pearl paint, then when dry I sanded and scratched the surface and went over it with brown distress ink. The flowers were then shaped and assembled with a brad to secure them.


The butterfly was covered in gesso to get rid of most of the garish pink, not really my colour;distressed with vintage photo ink.

                                     The tags were scrunched and inked and added to the bottom.
I hope you all enjoy it. It was fun to make and I still have half a dozen vintage lace flowers to play around with.

12 comments:

Katharine Steff said...

Neil, this is AMAZING! So so pretty! Thanks for joining us over at Simon Says Stamp and Show! Katie xxx

Lynne Forsythe said...

NEIL>...WOWZEROOONIE....this piece made me gasp when I opened you post....FABULOUS job!!

thanks bunches for playing along with the Design Teamies and Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge!!

Jester said...

This is absolutely stunning, Neil! Love the flowers. Great work.

Dan said...

I love the vintage feel you've achieved with this! The Design Team are really pleased that you joined us for the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week- Thank you!

Unknown said...

Wow Neil ... This is beautiful ... Really shabby and full of romance ... Thank you so much for becoming my 700th follower ... You sure know how to make a girl's day!

Trish said...

Wow, this is so stunning!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

I love those crochet flowers!! The colors are great too!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

-Sarah

Jen said...

What a fabulous project! Like how you used the doily to make the flowers!

Kathy Eddy said...

Wow, what an amazing piece! I love everything about it!

CreativSpirit said...

Hi Neil,

I just found your blog today and love what I've seen so far. Just wondering if you can tell what die you used for the butterfly on this beautiful canvas please.

Neil said...

Hi CreativSpirit; thanks for your kind words. It was not actually a Die but rather some rather garish pink embellishments that I picked up somewhere so long ago I am not sure where! Sorry I can't give you any further info!

Sue said...

Neil, Love your canvas and so pleased to have found your blog. Thought you would like to know that the butterfly is a Martha Stewart punch. Sue