Monday 11 September 2017

"Emergency" sketchbooks...

Good morning friends.
Last week on my day off I decided to have a bit of fun making journals. I call them my emergency sketchbooks as they are small enough to pop into a bag, or even a pocket so all you need is a pen when the urge to sketch strikes.


I started by folding 10 strips of 280gsm card stock in half to form a single signature.

I popped them into the press for a while to help flatten the fold. (Much easier than trying to get a decent fold with my own power)


When I took them out I added the thread holes and using a no.4 string from the Ropery in Hawes bound each signature and trimmed the edges.

 Then it was time to raid the leather box and cut the covers.
A pile of books waiting to be glued. This is my least favourite part to be honest. Still. Each cover was glued, weighted under slate and then when I had done six they went into the press for final pressure.

I used a beaded tie closure to finish them off and by the end of the day I had finished 19. Yes, there are only 17 here for those who have counted lol. The other two were gifted to a friend.
The finished books are 6 x 14 cm.
Why am I making so many? Well, I have decided to take the plunge and open an Etsy store soon and thought it would be nice to have a reasonable selection of different books to begin with along with my larger journals. I will also be putting together some book making kits containing everything needed to make your own...
So watch this space, I will let you know when I have taken the plunge. I have to say, I am very nervous about this. I don't know if I am the only "artist" who feels this way about putting their babies out there for the world to judge.....but hey I will get over it I am sure.
Take care.

4 comments:

Karen said...

I am so pleased that you are taking the plunge at last Neil. Your books are always beautifully made and these are delightful!

Karin said...

Go for it Neil!
Your handmade books and classes have always been fabulous. These look great. :-)

Sandie said...

Yes, I know where you are comimg from Neil. I've been procrastinating for years and still haven't set up a shop. I'm busy making books at the moment for a big craft show and I hope people will like them enough to take them home. Otherwise I really need to follow your example. Good luck with it - your books are wonderful and I know they will be loved.

Sioux P said...

Hi Neil, having seen some of your creations and done your classes I am sure it will be a great success. Love your work. Good luck and best wishes Sue