Sunday, 24 May 2015

6 x 6 Journal

Good morning folks.
I trust that this finds you well. Is it just me or is this year just flying away? Can't believe it is almost June already!
Today I thought I'd share my latest journal with you; made with my Random 1 Book Cover kit from Tando Creative and lots of lovely DecoArt goodies.....
Just to warn you, this is a "lots of photos" post as I thought you may like to see the process. The first photo is the finished journal so you can see where we're headed.....

I started by assembling my covers using a piece of scrap self adhesive canvas I had lying around. I used DecoArt Faux Finishing Medium to glue the front cover down and then gave everything a coating of the medium and allowed to dry.

Next stage was to give the covers a good covering of Media Crackle Paint.

On the back cover I made a pattern using the "waste" elements from the kit, pressing them onto the wet paint.

I added some thicker layers of the paint in areas. (To give larger cracks when dry)

More paint added to the back cover and stippled on to give texture. This was then left overnight to dry thoroughly.

 When Dry I used a selection of DecoArt Fluid Acrylics to add colour to the book. You can see the gorgeous crackle the paint has given

When that had dried I added a coat of Raw Umber Antiquing Cream to the whole piece and began to wipe back to both "age" to covers and highlight the crackle.

When this had dried I sealed it with DecoArt Acrylic Matte Sealer to protect the surface.

 I made a selction of Air dry clay shells using a silicone mold.
 After a couple of washes with DecoArt Fluid acrylics they were transformed....

 These were glued in place on the finished book with a couple of tiny real shells too.

 So, there you have the finished book. (The inside pages are done as per my blog post HERE, and the journal assembled as per my blog post HERE)

 For the spine I added a decorative element also made with air dry clay and a mold and coloured with DecoArt Metallic Lustres

I just love the gorgeous texture and crackle on this journal.

 The end papers are stamped using Viva stamps and Archival inks.

This was a journal I really enjoyed creating so I hope you enjoyed following the steps. My journal kits are available from Tando Creative and most of the other products used are DecoArt products available from most good craft retailers.

1 comment:

bkazoo said...

Wow, fabulous. Thanks for sharing