Monday 17 June 2013

Guest design piece for Fashionable Stamping

Hi here friends
I hope you are all well and that you had a good weekend. A little while ago I was asked by the lovely folks at Fashionable Stamping if I would consider doing a guest design piece for them and here it is. The theme was Try a New Style/Try Something New. That was a challenge! The blog with all the fabulous DT inspiration and details can be found HERE.

I decided to be brave and try a new style; I took my inspiration from all the Magnolia style cards I often see and admire but don't do. So, without further ado, here is my card....

So, if you had seen my desk on Wednesday you now know what happened with the lace and doilies on my desk!
This is how I made the card. I started out by folding a piece of A4 white card in half and cutting a pink mat out of card. I edged the whole piece with the self adhesive lace.

 Once  I had done that I trimmed all the excess pink from the edges and used Victorian Velvet Distress ink around the edges. I cut a smaller mat from green card; distressed the edges with a paper distresser and used Bundled Sage Distress ink around the edges.
 I stamped one of my background stamps in the same Distress ink and used both colours of ink to colour a doily too.
 Taking the pink card I cut a couple of slits just inside the lace edge and added some ribbon. On the left side I tied a bow and on the right I just added a scrap of lace. I did this so that the ribbon looked neat and didn't overlap the lace.
 For the main image I stamped the image onto a piece of card and cut it out. I pressed the two ink pads onto the craft sheet and used a water brush to lightly colour the image.
 I detailed it with some yellow ink and there's a slight sheen to the wings (which you can't see) with copper Perfect Pearl mist. I added a thin slip of the lace to the green card and assembled everything as seen with double sided tape and 3d foam for the main image.
 Lastly, to finish I added a swirl, some flowers and gems and the sentiment.


 The result, a pretty card with no brown, industrial style grunge. Not my usual style at all but I'm pleased with the way it turned out.
So, why don't you pop on over and enter the challenge and Try something new..........
Have a great day.

4 comments:

Helen said...

this is certainly a very different style to your usual one, Neil! Well done for embracing something so radically different!

Terry said...

Welcome to FSC! I was thrilled to see you as one of our Guest Artists! Although not your usual style, the detail in your water coloring is gorgeous! Great idea to cut off the excess paper around the stamped background, great effect! Love your "pretty" card! Have a fabulous week!

Moggles said...

Look at you embracing your feminine side! I love it

Esther said...

Hi Neil - it's great to have you join us at FSC - thanks for creating such a lovely card for our challenge, this style is a real challenge for me too !! Esther xx