Thursday 14 March 2013

My Tattered Floral challenge entry

Good morning friends
As I'm sure that many of you will know, Tim Holtz set a challenge to create a project using his Tattered Floral die. All the details can be found HERE if you haven't seen it yet!

Well, this is one of the most used dies in my collection so I was definitely up for it but wasn't sure what to make until the penny dropped in my mind; I was planning to create something using lace but perhaps I could switch lace for tattered floral? Answer, yes! After cracking ahead and getting some deadlines under my belt I allowed myself the luxury of "me time" so may I introduce Kiki, all dressed up for the ball.......


I started off with a 12 x 12 canvas and sprayed it liberally with Dylusions inks (most of the new colours) I added details using a Prima Flourish mask and water and dried it off with the heat gun. I added some Perfect Pearl sprays too though you can't see the sparkle here.

Then I cut a bunch of flowers, stamped in archival using my bubble stamps and coloured with the same colours of Dylusions. Dried them and shaped them all ready.

I stamped Kiki onto tissue and worked out where I was going to put her and removed some of the colours behind with water before adhering it with Matte Multi Medium.
 Then the fun began; I cut the dress shape from double sided adhesive sheet, stuck it down and began to layer up from the bottom. The larger flowers were cut in half  and the small ones near the top were left whole and I added small gems to the centres for added sparkle.
 To finish I used the same Prima mask with Dreamweaver Pearlescent paste to add raised detail. What I love about this paste and Dylusions is that the moisture of the paste lifts up the colours from beneath as it dries leaving a lovely, raised and shimmery area in the same colours like a chameleon!
 To finish I added some further metal flowers and the Tim Holtz word strip.

The colours in reality are much more vibrant and shimmery than the photo shows but I hope you like it! I'm really pleased with it, love the way the flowers build up and give really great dimension.
Hope you have a lovely day.
Neil

24 comments:

Helen said...

Wow, this is amazing, so intricate. I love the dress! What a brilliant idea, and such lovely colours. I only did a tag, lol!!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

WOW Neil, this is outstandingly beautiful. Good luck with the challenge. It's a winner in my book.

Elaine said...

Brilliant idea to use the flowers as a skirt. Looks great and I love the vibrant colours!

G Peplow said...

Beautiful!! Love it Neil, x

Artyjen said...

It's annoying when the photo's we take don't do the piece justice in our own eyes....I think it looks stunning so it must be super duper in real life ;)
xoxo Sioux

Beccy said...

now that would make a real good class?

Beccy

Fiona (anubis 1 ) said...

Simply Amazing Neil and the colours are just divine. I think I might have to try these ink sprays as am loving the effects you have acheived with them. An ingenious way on use of the flowers too. xx

Nan G said...

Fabulous dress and the canvas is amazing!

mark gould said...

great details, I like the complex design with only a few image choices. A simple complexity. very creative.

Dianne said...

AWESOME what a gorgeous piece of art, stunning work Neil thanks for always inspiring me, so have a great day..

xxx Myra xxx said...

omg...just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

all that is beautiful but I doubt able to do so. bravo. and thank you for any explanations.

Gio said...

Gorgeous interpreation, Neil!

Stunning colours and composition, very fashionable!

Unknown said...

Hi Neil
This is just amazing! Thank you for sharing ... I have a box I want to alter and I am going to try some of these techniques. Fab!!!
Lynda B

Words and Pictures said...

Wow - utterly stunning, Neil! The stamp is (obviously!) gorgeous, and that gown you've given her is an absolute dream... Fab damask texture too on that wonderful background... altogether jaw-dropping!
Alison x
(Oh, and following you right back!!)

sara j said...

Fabulous idea, beautiful colors and great execution. This is stunning...and fun!

Jen Shep said...

great project gives me loads of inspiration

www.hokiecoyote.com said...

What a beautiful piece of art. Good luck.

Robin said...

Simply beautiful. I love the idea of making her dress out of flowers. That is just the prettiest blue you are using! I know how beautiful to my eyes this this on my screen....I can't image of beautiful, it is in person....seeing all those layers!

Marjie Kemper said...

Fab flowers, Neil... wonderful idea to make the dress!

eri*doodle said...

You have a wonderful talent. This is fabulous idea using the flowers as the skirt.

Take a peek at my Tattered Floral entries:
Rose Box - http://eridoodle.blogspot.com/2013/03/tattered-florals-vintage-rose-box.html
and
Lunch Bag rose - http://eridoodle.blogspot.com/2013/02/tim-holtz-tattered-florals-die-challenge.html

Best of luck in the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals challenge.
-Pam

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is wonderful, I love it. Love how the flowered dress goes off the edge at the bottom,

Lucy x

Unknown said...

Beautiful and unique way of using the Tattered Florals die Neil - love it

Linda said...

wauw, it's beautiful! If I were Mr. Holtz, I would have chozen yours!