Friday 24 February 2012

Getting more from your dies

Good morning everyone
I hope this finds you well. In continuing my search for different ways of using dies you may already have I thought I'd share this card with you.
I'm sure that most of you will guess what I've used to make the Cross, but below are the steps. With Easter coming closer I think it's a good idea for cards and also suitable for sympathy and confirmation cards too. This card for me, with the darker purples, blues and black lends itself more to sympathy, but by changing the colours to lighter ones will give a much fresher feel.
 So, to begin to make the Cross you will need the Sizzix Hardware findings die (of which we are only using the hinge) some mirri card and an embossing folder.
 Die cut four hinges out of the card.
Cut then down as per the (blurry) photo above! 2 at approx 5cm, 1 at approx 6.5cm and one at approx 7.5cm. Run these through your machine with an embossing folder to add some texture.
To assemble the card create your background (This is made with  Impression Obsession Geologic, and watered down distress inks) matt onto a slightly larger card.
The Largest piece forms the bottom, the medium piece the top and the two smaller ones form the sides. Glue into place on your card as seen and to disguise the joins I attached some small adhesive flat gems to the centre and added some square brads through the holes on the ends, though you could use gems too. Mount onto the front of the card blank and you're done.
Another thing to use your die for!
I'll be back at 12 with a new challenge for The Stamp Man so I'll see you then.

5 comments:

...the yorkshire fox... said...

...beautiful card Neil...thinking outside the box will give us all alot more from our die's...thanks for sharing...Mel :)

JoZart Designs said...

Great idea Neil and I have to make a confirmation card soon so it will be ideal. thanks for sharing your idea.
JoZarty x

whyducks said...

Lovely idea Neil, very effective.

Crafty Loops said...

What a fantastic idea, love this. And I have this die which is very handy. Lee x

The Gentleman Crafter said...

Incredible!!! Great Ideas and inspiration! Thanks so much!