Thursday 16 February 2012

Die cuts with a difference....

Good morning everyone
Hope you are all well. Today it's my turn over at the Craft Barn where this week we are looking at die cuts but looking at them differently; trying to see the possibilities...........
So without  further ado I'd like to introduce you to Olly the Ostrich.
He is descended from a long line of distinguished reindeer; also known as Sir Tim of Holtz, fanciful flight die! Isn't he cute? Then of course there is his little brother; now he's a little bit eccentric, and his fashion sense, hmmmmmmm
The details of the "how" are on the Craft Barn blog too but I've decided to add them here too.
The process is pretty straightforward as you will see from the next photo!


You can see by this picture what to do next. In the middle I've shaded in black the areas you need to cut away from the original shape on the left to leave you with the shape on the right.
(tip; keep one cut shape as a template so you can easily make more!)




For the first tag I kept it more realistic by using natural colours and a feather before mounting it onto a tag which I'd stamped onto with Katzelkraft stamps and then mounting that tag onto a second tag cut from corrugated card
For the second, smaller one cut out from the mini reindeer I had much more fun, using brighter colours and playing around with pens I created my "Zebritch" which worked together nicely with the sentiment for a fun and quirky tag which I popped into my journal because I liked it so much!
He (or she) is standing on a shape cut out of the Artful dwellings die and the tag has been inked and stamped with distress inks and a bit of masking added too.
Have some fun today!

15 comments:

lainey said...

what a clever young man you are!! love it :) lainey x

Hels Sheridan said...

wow Neil, this is a BRILLIANT idea... love it!!!

Joanne said...

What a hoot. I love the tag on a tag too. Fantastic.

Belinda Basson said...

Oh my word! This is brilliant, I think you are a GENIUS!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Very. Lever Neil, neat idea. Tracy x

May said...

This is fabulous, Hugs May x x

Maggie said...

Fabulous idea Neil expect to see loads of these in blogland now!
have left comment at craft barn too.

Maggie

Siobhan Fyffe said...

How clever is this!! You never cease to amaze me!!
Siobhan x

whyducks said...

A great idea, I love Olly.

Hels Darbyshire said...

Now when I suggested to you that the reindeer looked like an ostrich "if you chop off his leg", I never realised how good it could look - your ostriches look really great Neil. Looking forward to your victorian inventors class next month, see you then!

Dominike said...

Excellent ! What a good idea !

MaryH said...

Thanks so much for allowing blogger Mary Witter to show on her blog your nifty idea of changing the reindeer into an ostrich. How clever to be able to see this 'shape' in the reindeer die. Thanks for sharing with us in the US!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing with us across the pond. I think your bird will take flight (or run) over here.
Thanks again - South Carolina crafter

NETTI said...

Damn clever!!! Love him/her!

sara j said...

Fabulous, Funny, Feathers....I'm gonna have to try this!! Great idea.