Tuesday 1 March 2011

PDCC 70 and Curls and Swirls at the Stampman AND Spring at the Artistic Stamper!

Goodly morning all; my daffodils are blooming merrily so it must be spring! Those lovely folks over at The Artistic Stamper agree as that's the theme for March. The colours at The Play Date Cafe #70 could not be more springlike if they tried and over at the Stampman challenge blog it is curls and swirls this time (Which is what my clematis shoots are doing in the garden)
So spring it is then..... I made a wall hanging to celebrate the season using the Cafe's colours as my springboard. Here it is; and not a domino in sight! (I did, however use a poker chip!)
I started off with a poker chip (A charity shop bargain at a few squid for 100 so expect to see more!) I edged the sides with silver leaf and glued a butterfly image from Crafty Individuals, covered with rock candy distress crackle and left to dry before inking with broken china DI. I cut another butterfly out and tried to cover with glossy accents. Note the word tried; it does not like glossy paper so it is a bit splodgy but I like it anyway. Had to use it as it was the only butterfly that matched the colours!)
Moving on.... The base is a wooden coaster, covered with an old book page stamped with flourishes in wild honey, shabby shutters and broken china DI and the edges then inked with shabby shutters.
Sjoe, after all that talking bet you want to see another picture!
I used a large grunge swirl inked and stamped in the same inks for interest and some diddly flowers layered up. Distress stickles for the centres. I glued the second butterfly so that the wings were loose; attached some chain and voila; one cheerful spring hanging........

Here's a side shot so you can see the layers and dimension to the piece. Hope you enjoy it and feel all springlike in your art today. Be blessed.........

25 comments:

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! how clever is that! & really pretty :)

Miranda said...

What a beautiful piece of 'spring'art! Have a nice day, greetz, Miranda

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Great piece or SPRING. Love the colours and layers, a very creative piece. Tracy Evans x

Lesley Edmonds said...

Hi there, just stumbled across your blog whilst hopping, as you do, and love your art. I too am a big fan of Crafty Individuals.
This piece is gorgeous.
Lesley

Minxy said...

This is stunning Neil, love how you've used the flourish, thanks for playing along with the ASCT challenge x

Artyjen said...

It certainly is cheery Neil....a lovely Spring piece
xoxo Sioux
Thanks for playing at the monthly AS challenge

Lynne K said...

This is absolutely lovely, Neil!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

The butterfly is stunning!

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous piece Neil, love the swirls on the outside. I recognise that old book paper!!! The poker chip really adds dimension and pops the butterfly right up off the coaster.
Thanks for joining in the Stamp Man challenge.
Take care.
luv and hugs {brenda} xoxox

Netty said...

This is a smashing hanging Neil, love it. Annette

Caroline Hallett said...

loving this Neil - another triumph!

Sarah Anderson said...

ooo Neil this is gorgeous, it really caught my eye in the play date cafe gallery :) I am so sorry not to have let you know before now but my beautiful surprise package arrived last Friday - I love it all! Been meaning to blog it since but life keeps happening ... thanks so, so much!

Starla said...

GORGEOUS!!
And I love all your altered dominos too!! (my kiddos ought to be thankful we still play dominos with their grandparents, otherwise, an altering I would be! hehe)

Hels Sheridan said...

Love this loads Neil... tis gorgeous! Thanks for joining us with the Artistic Stamper challenge x

cheryl said...

Hi neil I just poped over to say thank you for you kind comment you left on the craft barn blog so glad I did as love your work its just amazing,just love what you have created here once again thank you love cheryl xxxxxxx

ThinkInk Creative said...

Wow! This is really lovely.
cheers,
Malyn

Colleen Dietrich said...

Do you need my address, Neil, to ship this to me? LOL I really love this hanging art. It is gorgeous. Thanks for using our colors at the Cafe as your springboard!

massofhair said...

WOW loving your altered coaster and your very vibrant blue butterfly. Your swirl reminds me of a sleeping dragon, simply stunning creation:-)

Jaclyn Miller said...

Uber love that you repurposed a poker chip and love that you made that swirl fly off the bottom. So glad you played again at The Play Date Cafe.

Jinny Newlin said...

Wow! Stunning piece of art! LOVE all your textures and dimension! Way to rock this week's color story! Thank you so much for playing along with us, this week, in The Cafe!

veronica said...

gorgeous hanging, love the butterflies

Melanie - The Paper Retreat said...

Your creation is absolutely stunning. I love the vintage feel it has. Congratulations on winning the PDCC challenge - you deserve it!

DonnaMundinger said...

Well since I'm working down I've already seen you've won with this piece. No surprise! Stunning! xxD

Elaine said...

Lovely wall hanging - that butterfly is a stunning centrepiece!

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A wonderful piece, love all the details.